Development

IRCLogs20110310 (diff)

You must first sign up to be able to contribute.

Changes between Version 2 and Version 3 of IRCLogs20110310

Show
Ignore:
Author:
lsmith (IP: 217.162.131.234)
Timestamp:
03/10/11 21:44:38 (6 years ago)
Comment:

--

Legend:

Unmodified
Added
Removed
Modified
  • IRCLogs20110310

    v2 v3  
    33http://doodle.com/rmb38yvsf3bnm4ai 
    44 
    5 We kind of went off script with the topics. Also note that in the end there wasnt a properly organized meeting afterwards .. but still lots of smaller groups discussing topics. 
     5We kind of went off script with the topics. Also note that in the end there wasnt a properly organized meeting afterwards, but the log is included at the end of this page .. but still lots of smaller groups discussing topics. 
    66 
    77== Replacing the current event manager with a Doctrine2 inspired version == 
    497497[18:04] <lsmith> kris|m: we have the same opinion on the matter :) 
    498498}}} 
     499 
     500 
     501= IRC logs of Part 2 = 
     502{{{ 
     503[1:40 PM] <kriswallsmith> so, johanness needs answers for subrequest security and eager response headers 
     504[1:40 PM] <kriswallsmith> shall we discuss? 
     505[1:40 PM] <naderman> johanness: around? 
     506[1:42 PM] <naderman> for eager response headers I think the only question left is whether there should be a generic core.response listener which takes a response header bag from the request and turns it into headers or whether there should be individual listeners turning request attributes into headers 
     507[1:42 PM] <kriswallsmith> still doesn't seem right to me 
     508[1:42 PM] <naderman> the latter solution avoids setting response headers before you have a response and at the same time it will probably be more code 
     509[1:43 PM] <kriswallsmith> the purpose of having it eager is so a controller can make changes 
     510[1:43 PM] <kriswallsmith> otherwise core.response would be sufficient 
     511[1:43 PM] <naderman> there is another reason 
     512[1:43 PM] <naderman> if you have code that needs to run in core.request to provide your controller with information, and based on that same information you also want to set headers in core.response 
     513[1:44 PM] <naderman> then to avoid code duplication you need to either set the response header in core.request or add the header in core.response based on that piece of information you added to the request for the controller in core.request 
     514[1:44 PM] <kriswallsmith> you could stash on the listener 
     515[1:45 PM] <kriswallsmith> but then the controller couldn't make changes 
     516[1:45 PM] <naderman> yes 
     517[1:45 PM] <kriswallsmith> so the only reason is so the controller can make changes 
     518[1:45 PM] <johanness> kriswallsmith, what if your listener is not responsible for setting the headers? 
     519[1:45 PM] <naderman> stashing on the listener however makes it difficult with subrequests 
     520[1:45 PM] <kriswallsmith> naderman: the listener should be request scope 
     521[1:45 PM] <naderman> kriswallsmith: right that works too 
     522[1:46 PM] <naderman> kriswallsmith: the problem johanness has with this is that he does not want to have a separate listener to set the headers 
     523[1:46 PM] <Stof> not for security listeners unless the whole security is request scope 
     524[1:46 PM] <kriswallsmith> johanness: in that case it has nothing to do with this discussion, right? 
     525[1:46 PM] <naderman> which I don't really understand 
     526[1:46 PM] <johanness> kriswallsmith, no the listener is delegating to another service 
     527[1:46 PM] <naderman> johanness: I don't understand that? 
     528[1:46 PM] <kriswallsmith> and the other service sets headers? 
     529[1:47 PM] <naderman> you mean the service decides what headers need to be set and what needs to be provided to the controller? 
     530[1:47 PM] <johanness> kriswallsmith, yes exactly 
     531[1:47 PM] <naderman> but why wouldn't the service just stash the info internally until you ask it for the headers? 
     532[1:48 PM] <kriswallsmith> the delegated service could listen to core.response 
     533[1:48 PM] <johanness> i think having a lazy response header bag on the request is not gonna hurt, and seems like a good compromise to me 
     534[1:48 PM] <naderman> so you ask the service something on core.request which makes it respond and generate info for the header 
     535[1:48 PM] <naderman> and on core.response you ask the service to add its headers to the response 
     536[1:48 PM] <kriswallsmith> my concern is that we put it there and the only time it's used in for security 
     537[1:48 PM] <kriswallsmith> *is 
     538[1:49 PM] <naderman> a generic response header bag also has little use for overwriting by a controller because it'd have to parse the headers to figure out what to modify 
     539[1:50 PM] <johanness> kriswallsmith, but most people won't care anyway, it's not like it's affecting their code immensely 
     540[1:50 PM] <naderman> I think I agree with kris on this, either store info in the listener / in the service the listener delegates to, or if the controller needs to overwrite it, put it into a request attribute 
     541[1:50 PM] <kriswallsmith> we'll still have to maintain it 
     542[1:50 PM] <naderman> that way we stay true to the idea of creating a response only once 
     543[1:50 PM] <kriswallsmith> it adds complexity 
     544[1:51 PM] <johanness> complexity? 
     545[1:51 PM] <naderman> kriswallsmith: I think it's simpler actually, just not as "clean" 
     546[1:51 PM] <kriswallsmith> yeah, merging in those headeres 
     547[1:51 PM] <johanness> kriswallsmith, it will only be merged if there is a header bag 
     548[1:51 PM] <naderman> hmm right it's intransparent in a sense so I guess you could say it's complex 
     549[1:51 PM] <johanness> since most people won't use it, it will not be there 
     550[1:51 PM] <naderman> johanness: yes but what do you do if there is a Content-Type header in the header bag 
     551[1:52 PM] <naderman> do you overwrite the one in the response already? 
     552[1:52 PM] <naderman> do you keep the one already in the response? 
     553[1:52 PM] <johanness> but at least there is an easy way to set header from anywhere 
     554[1:52 PM] <naderman> you can't afterall just send both 
     555[1:52 PM] <kriswallsmith> on the otherhand, set-cookie should be allowed multiple times... 
     556[1:52 PM] <kriswallsmith> complexity 
     557[1:52 PM] <naderman> yes 
     558[1:52 PM] <johanness> the response has precendence obviously 
     559[1:53 PM] <naderman> ok so for Content-Type the response has precedence, for Set-Cookie they are both added (unless the cookie name is the same?) 
     560[1:53 PM] <naderman> this really does sound rather complex 
     561[1:53 PM] <johanness> naderman, we already have such kind of logic atm 
     562[1:53 PM] <johanness> like setting a content type if none is present 
     563[1:54 PM] <kriswallsmith> yes, but that's specific to content type 
     564[1:54 PM] <naderman> johanness: but we don't have generic header merging code 
     565[1:54 PM] <johanness> and to charset 
     566[1:54 PM] <naderman> I mean this code would have to be able to consider _all_ possible headers 
     567[1:54 PM] <naderman> and deal with them appropriately 
     568[1:54 PM] <johanness> naderman, they are key value paris 
     569[1:54 PM] <naderman> I mean what do you even do with X- headers? 
     570[1:54 PM] <johanness> it's not a big deal 
     571[1:54 PM] <kriswallsmith> johanness: it's not that simple 
     572[1:55 PM] <kriswallsmith> the same key can be used multiple times 
     573[1:55 PM] <naderman> johanness: they are key value pairs, where some keys may occur multiple times, but not all 
     574[1:55 PM] <johanness> so which can occur multiple times? 
     575[1:55 PM] <kriswallsmith> i don't think we can abstract a mechanism for this 
     576[1:55 PM] <naderman> and you have no way of knowing which ones may or may not be added multiple times 
     577[1:55 PM] <kriswallsmith> Set-Cookie 
     578[1:55 PM] <naderman> johanness: any header I make up myself starting with X- 
     579[1:55 PM] <johanness> ok cookies is special we already cover that 
     580[1:55 PM] <naderman> but only if I want it to 
     581[1:56 PM] <johanness> naderman, can you elaborate? 
     582[1:56 PM] <kriswallsmith> i think each feature that needs this will have to implement its own explicit logic 
     583[1:56 PM] <naderman> johanness: you can have custom headers, whether or not those are allowed to be duplicate is up to you 
     584[1:56 PM] <kriswallsmith> which is fine, since most people won't use it 
     585[1:57 PM] <naderman> Via is another header which can occur multiple times 
     586[1:57 PM] <naderman> Warning too 
     587[1:57 PM] <johanness> kriswallsmith, so you ask me to implement magic in security instead of having it in the kernel? 
     588[1:57 PM] <kriswallsmith> yes 
     589[1:57 PM] <naderman> Link too 
     590[1:57 PM] <naderman> etc. 
     591[1:57 PM] <kriswallsmith> behind the interface of the security component 
     592[1:57 PM] <johanness> i don't see how headers are the domain of security 
     593[1:57 PM] <naderman> johanness: the security thing is not magic, it is limited to Set-Cookies in one particular case 
     594[1:57 PM] <naderman> you do not need generic header setting in security 
     595[1:58 PM] <Seldaek> ah crap irc meeting.. 
     596[1:58 PM] <Seldaek> totally forgot 
     597[1:58 PM] <kriswallsmith> Seldaek: this is part deux 
     598[1:58 PM] <kriswallsmith> irc meeting reloaded 
     599[1:58 PM] <naderman> <kriswallsmith> i think each feature that needs this will have to implement its own explicit logic <-- yes, best solution imho 
     600[1:59 PM] <johanness> naderman, so we can have a early response cookies :) 
     601[1:59 PM] <naderman> johanness: why do you keep insisting to make a generic solution for this, rather than solving the one problem at hand? 
     602[1:59 PM] <johanness> because it's not easy to implement and the code gets quite ugly 
     603[1:59 PM] <Stof> fabpot: here ? 
     604[1:59 PM] <naderman> johanness: I disagree :D 
     605[2:00 PM] <johanness> cookies should be fairly simple to implement and are the most common use case 
     606[2:00 PM] <naderman> why don't you just set the cookies on core.response 
     607[2:00 PM] <johanness> naderman, because of sub-requests etc. 
     608[2:00 PM] <naderman> johanness: kriswallsmith already pointed out that the listner should have request scope 
     609[2:00 PM] <naderman> so you don't need to worry about sub-requests 
     610[2:01 PM] <kriswallsmith> johanness has pointed out that would add considerable overhead to security 
     611[2:01 PM] <johanness> naderman, again that is not working for security 
     612[2:01 PM] <naderman> well in that case use my solution? 
     613[2:01 PM] <naderman> just stash listeners on sub-request core.request and unstash them on core.response? 
     614[2:02 PM] <johanness> naderman, not trivial will make entire security even more complex 
     615[2:02 PM] <naderman> you have that problem either way, even with "eager cookies" 
     616[2:02 PM] <johanness> why? 
     617[2:02 PM] <lsmith> johanness: tge question is in light of ESI .. how often will there really be subrequests for people that care about performance? 
     618[2:02 PM] <kriswallsmith> you could either stash the response headers on the listener, organized by request using SplObjectStorage, or hijack a request attribute and stash the headers there 
     619[2:02 PM] <naderman> johanness: where is the core.response listener that puts the cookies into the response? 
     620[2:03 PM] <lsmith> so imho we should care about performance here so much 
     621[2:03 PM] <naderman> lsmith: I do imagine they will be used a fair bit 
     622[2:03 PM] <lsmith> the focus should be reliability and ease of maintenance 
     623[2:03 PM] <naderman> lsmith: e.g. for the ajax-ability of requesting some sub-part? 
     624[2:03 PM] <johanness> i mean i could implement a generic listener in the SecurityBundle which basically does that 
     625[2:04 PM] <johanness> but i think it would better be placed in the ResponseListener 
     626[2:04 PM] <lsmith> naderman: its easy to setup ESI and that is what people should go for .. at which point subrequests are turned into master requests 
     627[2:04 PM] <naderman> right they will end up using AppCache anyway 
     628[2:04 PM] <naderman> johanness: I think lukas is right, performance for sub-requests is not that important 
     629[2:05 PM] <lsmith> meaning if we put a lot of effort into optimizing subrequests .. we are not benefiting ESI users 
     630[2:05 PM] <johanness> another thing you should consider is how security integrates with other frameworks 
     631[2:08 PM] <lsmith> johanness: which points to do see to consider there? 
     632[2:09 PM] <naderman> I think other frameworks are all the more reason not to put something like a cookie stash into the framework 
     633[2:09 PM] <naderman> because security would need to be able to deal with a framework that does not do that 
     634[2:09 PM] <naderman> johanness: so I think that argument works against your solution ;-) 
     635[2:09 PM] <johanness> naderman, not at all 
     636[2:10 PM] <naderman> I mean having it inside security would work for other frameworks too 
     637[2:10 PM] <johanness> naderman, but it is magically set on the response via stashing it in an splobjectstorage 
     638[2:11 PM] <naderman> johanness: what? 
     639[2:11 PM] <johanness> the contract of the interface is weakened 
     640[2:11 PM] <naderman> I don't understand what you mean 
     641[2:11 PM] <naderman> in which case is what stashed where? 
     642[2:11 PM] <naderman> what solution are we talking about now? 
     643[2:11 PM] <naderman> a cookie bag on the request in symfony2? 
     644[2:11 PM] <naderman> or a cookie bag in the firewall? 
     645[2:11 PM] <naderman> or no cookie bag at all? 
     646[2:12 PM] <johanness> naderman, what solution are you talking about? :) 
     647[2:12 PM] <naderman> johanness: the first one 
     648[2:12 PM] <lsmith> i think at this point we have established that the remember me cookie needs to be checked at the start of the request 
     649[2:12 PM] <lsmith> and that in the end something needs to be set on the reponse 
     650[2:12 PM] <naderman> if you put the cookie bag into the symfony2 request class, then the security component will not work with a framework that cannot set cookies before it has a response 
     651[2:13 PM] <lsmith> as such its clear we need to have some place to set something which will write into the reponse as soon as the reponse exists 
     652[2:13 PM] <lsmith> agreed? 
     653[2:13 PM] <naderman> yes 
     654[2:13 PM] <naderman> the question is does it have to be a generic "write anything into request" or should there be a remember me cookie into response writer that is limited to this particular problem 
     655[2:14 PM] <johanness> hm, ok we could have a general SecurityListener which only checks for one specific attribute 
     656[2:15 PM] <johanness> that seems good, then i can still set it on the request but it would be no general set cookie feature 
     657[2:15 PM] <naderman> yes 
     658[2:15 PM] <naderman> that seems like a fair solution to me 
     659[2:15 PM] <johanness> ofc if someone else uses that attribute it would be applied as well, but ok 
     660[2:15 PM] <naderman> well make the name unique enough ;-) 
     661[2:16 PM] <johanness> kriswallsmith, do you agree with this? 
     662[2:16 PM] <naderman> although as per kriswallsmith, I'm not sure if a request attribute is necessarily the best place to store this 
     663[2:16 PM] <kriswallsmith> using a request attribute? 
     664[2:16 PM] <johanness> kriswallsmith, using a request attribute that only works for one specific cookie 
     665[2:16 PM] <kriswallsmith> sounds good 
     666[2:17 PM] <naderman> but it certainly solves the subrequest problem, so go for it 
     667[2:24 PM] <beberlei> can someone point me to a good symfony introduction talk from one of the last conferences? 
     668[2:24 PM] <beberlei> i need a starting point for my usergroup talk 
     669[2:24 PM] <lsmith> beberlei: i used jordi last time 
     670[2:24 PM] <lsmith> updated it last in early february IIRC 
     671[2:24 PM] <lsmith> let me find it 
     672[2:26 PM] <lsmith> beberlei: http://slides.seld.be/ 
     673[2:27 PM] <lsmith> specifically http://slides.seld.be/?file=2011-02-01+Symfony2+Introduction.html#1 
     674[2:27 PM] <beberlei> do you have the raw also? 
     675[2:27 PM] <lsmith> this is raw 
     676[2:27 PM] <lsmith> you need slippy from github 
     677[2:27 PM] <lsmith> its plain html 
     678[2:27 PM] <lsmith> you can modify as you wish 
     679[2:27 PM] <beberlei> its html 
     680[2:27 PM] <beberlei> not plain html 
     681[2:28 PM] <lsmith> its easy to edit .. this is the entire point of slippy 
     682[2:28 PM] <lsmith> slippy also supports to in the end inline all css/js/images to make self contained versions 
     683[2:28 PM] <beberlei> but i still have to write the code in <pre> and escape it myself? 
     684[2:28 PM] <beberlei> doesnt look very easy to me 
     685[2:29 PM] <beberlei> i use slidedown, which is a jquery plugin + markdown for previous talks 
     686[2:29 PM] <lsmith> seems easy to me .. but thats all i can offer :) 
     687[2:30 PM] <beberlei> thanks :D 
     688[2:33 PM] <henrikbjorn> lsmith: you are the one taling to Mathew ? :) 
     689[2:34 PM] <lsmith> henrikbjorn: uhm .. about what? 
     690[2:34 PM] <henrikbjorn> zend stuff.. cant find the post where the zend component dependency tool is listed 
     691[2:34 PM] <lsmith> i contacted him about maing zend\log less painful to include in Symfony2 
     692[2:35 PM] <lsmith> henrikbjorn: https://github.com/weierophinney/zf-examples/tree/master/zf-utils 
     693[2:35 PM] <henrikbjorn> YEEEESSS 
     694[2:35 PM] <henrikbjorn> i owe you :)!!!! 
     695[2:36 PM] <lsmith> do i get one "shut up now, no questions anymore" ? :) 
     696[2:36 PM] <henrikbjorn> yes :) 
     697[2:37 PM] <lsmith> juchu! :) 
     698[2:38 PM] <johanness> ok, we still need to talk about subrequest security; atm, we do not secure sub-requests in the sense that everything in the configuration (access_control) is not applied to sub requests 
     699[2:38 PM] <johanness> this can get especially confusing if you secure your controllers by relying on the _controller attribute 
     700[2:39 PM] <naderman> I think security should work the same for subrequests as for regular requests 
     701[2:39 PM] <lsmith> johanness: imho we should secure subrequests, but we should not try to get fancy with performance optimization 
     702[2:39 PM] <naderman> so that ESI/no-ESI makes no difference from a security perspective 
     703[2:39 PM] <johanness> lsmith, moving everything to scope request is not solving our problem 
     704[2:39 PM] <lsmith> now one thing where i keep getting mentally confused is how to handle if inner requests then fail because the user does not have sufficient access rights 
     705[2:40 PM] <johanness> i'm infact very unsure if that would work at all 
     706[2:40 PM] <lsmith> its easy if the subrequest is done inside a controller 
     707[2:40 PM] <lsmith> but less so when done inside a template 
     708[2:40 PM] <henrikbjorn> the on-error thing for include tag ? 
     709[2:40 PM] <johanness> the handle() method has a catch parameter 
     710[2:41 PM] <lsmith> henrikbjorn: yeah .. i guess really thats all thats needed 
     711[2:41 PM] <lsmith> aka .. either turn the entire request into failed .. or just ignore and return empty content 
     712[2:41 PM] <henrikbjorn> you would still get the error in a log, and through you notification system get notified 
     713[2:41 PM] <naderman> lsmith: so in a template having an "else" tag for sub requests would be cool 
     714[2:42 PM] <naderman> but I guess that's what you meant by on-error :) 
     715[2:42 PM] <henrikbjorn> naderman: cant be done 
     716[2:42 PM] <johanness> what happens atm if there is a 404 exception in a sub-request? 
     717[2:42 PM] <henrikbjorn> well not like the for twig tag 
     718[2:42 PM] <naderman> henrikbjorn: sure, why not? 
     719[2:43 PM] <naderman> it requires more complex ESI code hmm 
     720[2:43 PM] <henrikbjorn> because with ESI the content would be injected into it, it will not evalutate after the tag 
     721[2:43 PM] <naderman> it works as long as it's not standalone 
     722[2:43 PM] <henrikbjorn> yes :) 
     723[2:43 PM] <henrikbjorn> but essentially thats what on-error does, render a template if this request is not successful 
     724[2:43 PM] <lsmith> johanness: afaik you have the options i mentioned .. fail the current request or ignore the subrequest 
     725[2:44 PM] <lsmith> uhm .. "Varnish only supports the src attribute for ESI tags (onerror and alt attributes are ignored)." 
     726[2:44 PM] <lsmith> http://symfony.com/doc/2.0/cookbook/cache/varnish.html 
     727[2:45 PM] <henrikbjorn> thats a bommer 
     728[2:45 PM] <naderman> henrikbjorn: there is <esi:try><esi:attempt></esi:attempt><esi:except></esi:except></esi:try> for this ;-) 
     729[2:45 PM] <henrikbjorn> wow 
     730[2:45 PM] <lsmith> "ignore_errors: if set to true, an onerror attribute will be added to the ESI with a value of continue indicating that, in the event of a failure, the gateway cache will simply remove the ESI tag silently." 
     731[2:45 PM] <naderman> but I doubt varnish implements any of those 
     732[2:45 PM] <henrikbjorn> lets not support that 
     733[2:45 PM] <lsmith> http://symfony.com/doc/2.0/book/http_cache.html 
     734[2:46 PM] <Stof> lsmith: varnish does not support onerror 
     735[2:46 PM] <lsmith> Stof: yeah .. thats a pretty big issue 
     736[2:46 PM] <lsmith> so that means we need to make it possible for render tags to easily specify what they want to happen 
     737[2:47 PM] <naderman> henrikbjorn: varnish argues that supporting stuff like ESI attempt/except makes no sense, because you can do the fallback inside VCL configuration 
     738[2:47 PM] <naderman> same for onerror really 
     739[2:48 PM] <lsmith> aka there needs to be a flag to catch the exception and instead return a Reponse with an empty content 
     740[2:48 PM] <lsmith> standard > custom config 
     741[2:49 PM] <lsmith> i knew it .. should have perstered that varnish guy some more 
     742[2:49 PM] <lsmith> he brushed off my question with "such stuff isnt one size fits all" 
     743[2:51 PM] <johanness> i think removing the ability to secure controller via configuration is probably the easiest solution 
     744[2:52 PM] <lsmith> right .. it would at least prevent false expectations 
     745[2:52 PM] <lsmith> but it would still lead to inconsistencies between ESI and non ESI 
     746[2:52 PM] <johanness> hm, how do esi requests look like? what path do they have? 
     747[2:53 PM] <johanness> maybe some special attribute? 
     748[2:53 PM] <lsmith> johanness: they use an internal route .. so the path will look differently 
     749[2:53 PM] <lsmith> hmm .. 
     750[2:53 PM] <lsmith> so i guess there is no inconsistency in that case 
     751[2:53 PM] <lsmith> since you would have to explicitly also secure the ESI paths 
     752[2:54 PM] <lsmith> well it would still be inconsistent ... but less surprising 
     753[3:00 PM] <johanness> fabpot, what is the status of https://github.com/symfony/symfony/pull/198 ? this is kind of blocking any changes to security atm 
     754[3:08 PM] <beberlei> lsmith, which slideset had this architecture image how the MVC request stack worked? symfony from the trenches? 
     755[3:08 PM] <lsmith> beberlei: yes 
     756[3:08 PM] <lsmith> i can send you the source for that .. its a google docs 
     757[3:09 PM] <beberlei> thad would be nice, kontakt@beberlei.de that is 
     758[3:10 PM] <beberlei> hm no 
     759[3:10 PM] <beberlei> thats not the one i meant 
     760[3:10 PM] <beberlei> there was a nicer one somewhere else ;) 
     761[3:10 PM] <fabpot> johanness: the problem with this PR is that there are many things in one PR 
     762[3:11 PM] <fabpot> I can merge the protected/private changes 
     763[3:11 PM] <lsmith> jonwage: i will upload a new copy of the trenches slides to slideshare ok? 
     764[3:11 PM] <fabpot> but I want more time to think about the User/Account rename 
     765[3:11 PM] <jonwage> ok cool 
     766[3:20 PM] <fabpot> johanness: merged 
     767}}}