Google Summer of Code 2008
See more information on Google Summer of Code - http://code.google.com/soc/2008/
- Fabien Potencier
- Dustin Whittle
- Add support for easy database sharding and other high-scalability features
- An installer script that lets you pick your orm, setup database, create and configure apps, and select the plugins needed for your project and install symfony locally
- Build system (aggregate/minify css/js) with Capistrano like deployment
- Finishing and enhancing http://www.symfony-forge.org
- Finishing and enhancing the new benchmarking mechanism
- Improving sfDoctrine (Doctrine integration with Symfony)
- Creating a Sphinx full-text query search engine plugin
- Building a GUI for creation and management/remote-management of Symfony projects (web-based or otherwise)
- Creating light-weight ORM transparency layer for plugins to have DRY plugins
- Creating a compact dependency injector to replace the abstract factory
- Adding more automation/generation tools, ie for sfForm
- Improve the generated admin - for instance, in page related records editing
- Built in support for database migrations and improved data dumping and loading.
Name / School / Project you would like to work on
Kiril Angov (kupokomapa) / Concord University / For now "Build system (aggregate/minify css/js) with Capistrano like deployment" but if Symfony gets accepted (I really hope so) I will take some serious time to figure out the best project.
Colin Williams / Stevens Institute of Technology / Currently I'm interested in finishing symfony forge, but like Kiril, I'd feel more comfortable with that decision with the final list of ideas and more research.
Jagtesh Chadha / Visvesvaraya Technological University, India / Improving sfDoctrine (Doctrine integration with Symfony), or creating a Sphinx full-text query search engine plugin for Symfony, or building a GUI for creation and management/remote-management of Symfony projects (web-based or otherwise). (I really hope Symfony is selected this time!)
Carl Vondrick / ??? / ORM transparency layer, dependency injector, sfSearch + search components
Rui Silva and Filipe Costa/ University of Minho, Portugal / automation/generation tools, dependency injector
David Regla / National University of Mexico / Installer and app configuration script with deployment templates
Konstantin Mikhaylov / Far Eastern State Transportation University, Russia / work on symfony-forge.org, installer script (i really need such feature :-)), support for Sphinx in Symfony,
Ben Cole / University of Bath, England / installer scripts, symfony-forge.org, more automation tools
Tiago Ribeiro and Nuno Correia / University of Minho, Portugal / Implementation of sfPlayground
Bogdan Nicolau / Politehnica University, Bucharest, Romania / support for easy database sharding and/or other high-scalability features
Anton Evangelatov / University of Southampton, UK / automation tools, symfony-forge.org or else!